Hotels near the British Library are ideally placed for not only visiting the world-famous collection of books, newspapers and journals but also for exploring London's glittering West End. Theatres, shops, restaurants and museums await you in one of the world's most dynamic and global cities.
Useful information for your visit to the British Library
Famed for being the largest library in the world, the British Library is estimated to house over 200 million books. Spend hours exploring the aisles of books and journals, including many ancient texts and first editions from esteemed authors from around the world.
Avoid peak times
- The British Library is a working building frequented by academics, scholars and researchers, therefore try to avoid working hours and instead wander the magnificent collection of books in the evening or at the weekend.
Exhibits and talks
- Check the website to see what discussions and exhibits are on at the British Library. Many of the events are free and you can combine your visit with the chance to see and meet some of the world's most distinguished authors and academics.
Cafe and restaurant -
The eateries located inside the library, and the charming Last Word coffee shop outside, are packed to the rafters with intellectual and creative types. Immerse yourself in this erudite world of science, philosophy and literature as you settle down with a cappuccino and a book - even if you are only listening to their beguiling conversations.
Recommended Accommodation Near British Library
Best things to do near the British Library
Located in the heart of central London, the British Library is surrounded by squares, museums and historic buildings. Pay a visit to the library's original home, the British Museum, or relive movie magic at platform 9 and 3/4 situated in the adjacent King's Cross Station.
St Pancras Station
- Located directly next to the library is the magnificent St Pancras Railway Station. More than simply a transport hub, the station if famed for its stunning Gothic architecture and artworks which regularly adorn the inside. Once you've explored the station stop by the famed St Pancras Renaissance Hotel which has featured in numerous films and also the Spice Girls' first music video.
- Located just 0.9 miles to the south of the library is the British Museum. Home to famed artefacts such as the Rosetta Stone and much contested Elgin Marbles, the museum displays thousands of artefacts which detail several periods of human history.
Platform 9 and 3/4
- Located just next to the library is the world's most famous train platform popularised by J.K Rowling and her titular protagonist Harry Potter. There's a special sign on the platform where you can stop for pictures and also a shop selling themed memorabilia.
Great Places to Stay Near British Library
Receive exclusive offers, inspirational stories and travel regulation updates.
Become a subscriber* and receive great tips on travel planning sent to your inbox!
Enter email address*
Average Accommodation Prices Near British Library
Holiday Letting Price Information The British Library
Accommodation Availability Near British Library
Holiday Home Availability Information The British Library