Useful information for your visit to Somerset House
Base yourself in one of the great hotels near Somerset House to be close to this cultural gem.
1. The Courtyard
Somerset House actually wraps around an enormous courtyard, which features elegant fountains and seating areas. Walk around it to appreciate the superb 18th-century architecture, before stopping for a coffee or some lunch amid inspiring surroundings.
2. The Courtauld Gallery
This is one of the capital's finest Impressionist and Post-Impressionist galleries, where you can see famous pieces from the likes of van Gogh, Monet and Cézanne. The collection includes paintings, drawings and decorative arts, all set in an impressive gallery space.
Each summer, the courtyard of Somerset House is transformed into a giant, open-air cinema. See everything from black-and-white masterpieces to recent releases as you enjoy the magic of film in a unique setting.
Somerset House also invites performing arts companies to perform on site, with a grand stage for putting on a range of productions. Some performances are aimed specifically at children, so you can find something that will entertain the little ones on a visit here.
Recommended Accommodation Near Somerset House
Best things to do near Somerset House
Exploring the area around Somerset House is sure to reward you with some cultural and historical treasures.
This is a hotspot for theatres, including The Lyceum and Aldwych Theatres. The former is the home of The Lion King, one of the most acclaimed musicals in the city's history. Venture a little further and you'll find other outstanding theatres such as Theatre Royal Drury Lane and the Savoy Theatre, both hosting spectacular musicals.
2. Trafalgar Square
Walk up The Strand for 15 minutes and you'll arrive at London's most famous square. This is where you'll find the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, and can also see Nelson's Column. Along the way and around the square itself, you'll find an enormous selection of places to eat and drink.
3. Covent Garden
This is among the capital's best places to shop, with plenty of surrounding streets housing well-known stores and independent boutiques. In Covent Garden itself, street performers serenade the passers by, while the historic covered market hall offers wonderful food and beauty outlets.
4. Oxo Tower
Walk across Waterloo Bridge and see this landmark building owned by the Oxo stock cube company. The wharf surrounding it has a plethora of independent art galleries, or you can dine at the magnificent restaurant in the tower for panoramic views.
Great Places to Stay Near Somerset House
Visit Other Popular Attractions
- Accommodation near Buckingham Palace
- Accommodation near Eden Project
- Accommodation near Harewood House
- Accommodation near Lincoln Cathedral
- Accommodation near Temple Newsam
- Accommodation near The Lowry
- Albert Dock hotels
- Canterbury Cathedral hotels
- Celtic Park Accommodation
- Chatsworth hotels
- Cheddar Gorge Accommodation
- Hotels near Big Ben
- Hotels near Blenheim Palace
- Hotels near Brighton Pier
- Hotels near British Library
- Hotels near Bullring
- Hotels near Cadbury World
- Hotels near Castle Howard
- Hotels near Edinburgh Castle
- Hotels near Houses of Parliament
- Hotels near London Eye
- Hotels near London Science Museum
- Hotels near Madam Tussauds
- Hotels near Natural History Museum
- Hotels near Roman Baths
- Hotels near Royal Albert Hall
- Hotels near Southbank Centre
- Hotels near St Pauls Cathedral
- Hotels near Tate Britain
- Hotels near Tate Modern
- Hotels near The Cavern Club
- Hotels near Victoria and Albert Museum
- Hotels near Westminster Abbey
- Hotels near Windsor Castle
- Kew Gardens hotels
- Regents Park hotels
- Stonehenge campsites
- Warwick Castle accommodation
- York Minster Accommodation